Sunday, December 16, 2012

We love veggies!

We have had a very busy weekend...finishing up Christmas shopping, finalizing our travel plans, and attending lots of holiday parties. At those holiday parties, there is always food... and inevitably, the conversations lead to many questions and discussions about our vegan/vegetarian lifestyle.

 Probably the most frequently asked question vegans and vegetarians get from people is, "What do you EAT?!"...with the emphasis on the last word, and a nose crinkle/face squinch (real word??) to add some oomph to the question. :) Let me explain...but first let me define some terms: a "vegetarian" is one who does not eat meat, but does eat animal by-products such as milk, cheese, eggs, etc. Some people who refer to themselves as vegetarians do eat fish (we do not), and are called "pescatarians". A "vegan" is a more strict vegetarian, and in addition to not eating meat, they do not consume any food derived from animals, so no milk, eggs, cheese, butter, cream, yogurt, chicken/beef stock, etc. I like to say I'm 99% vegan because "strict" vegans do not eat honey, and I do use honey when I make my granola. :) Other than that, we avoid all animal by-products at home, with the exception of Tim occasionally ordering something with cheese and very rarely chicken if he does not like the veg options at a restaurant. But being in the DC metro area, we don't usually have any trouble finding good veg food. Being vegan and vegetarian has opened up an entire world of foods and flavors that I never even knew existed...and we don't miss or crave the animal foods at all! I have learned to be creative in the kitchen experimenting with squashes, root vegetables, legumes, beans, grains, etc. to cook healthy and balanced meals without the use of animal products or by-products. I love it! It has been a fun journey and I'm constantly learning new things (with the help of some great blogs, like this one!)

To end, I'd like to share some recipes I made this week. They are both very easy and turned out amazing!

Delicata Squash Rings with Cashews & Sweet Mustard


Italian Meatless Meatloaf Muffins

Until next time...happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment